Tuesday, November 22, 2011

How do I deal with friend's and stranger's request for free legal advice?

I became a licensed attorney last year and since that time, everyone and their brother (literally) approaches, calls and ';drops by'; for free legal advice. I always told myself I would help my friends all that I could because I know what its like not to be able to afford to call an attorney everytime one has a legal question or problem, but this is getting carried away and taking up all my ';spare'; and work time.How do I deal with friend's and stranger's request for free legal advice?
First, I think you should be careful of giving out advice in situations where you may not be apprised of all the details. Such casual affairs could get you in trouble if the advice is not on point.





What you need are some bona fide ways to say no gracefully.





If the advice requested is not your expertise say so and recommend a different attorney.





If someone drops by unannounced tell them you are sorry, but your next appointment is in a few minutes and you have to prepare. Let them see the secretary if they'd like to make an appointment. You don't have to charge them if you feel they have a worthy cause, but this will prevent them from eating up too much of your time unexpectedly.





You can probably think of other ways to say no nicely, knowing your profession as you do.How do I deal with friend's and stranger's request for free legal advice?
Glad I was able to help a little. : )

Report Abuse



dont let them mix wit ur work. u could wind up fired!!
i dont know man 2 points
Give them a short answer summary and let them know how busy you are, as for strangers, hand them a business card and let them know your hourly rate.
I can understand you wanting to help out family and close friends I think that is reasonable. Anything beyond that I think you should draw the line and set your boundaries. You will just quite simply have to say ';no'; and that if they wish to use your services they will have to set an appointment at your office.

No comments:

Post a Comment