Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I need legal advice for a assault case?

In 2006 me and my cousin got involved in a assault case for which i got acquitted in 2008. my cousin still has his hearing coming up but the guy sued 5 or 6 of my family members including me for his personal injuries. the other people were not even involved in the fight. so now what do i do?





Do i still have to hire a lawyer even though i got acquitted? Please give me advice on what to do!I need legal advice for a assault case?
Just because you were acquitted at a criminal trial doesn't mean you are innocent ... a civil trial has a lesser burden of proof. The plaintiff (the guy you hit) only need show that his evidence outweighs your evidence, and he will win. You stand to lose a lot of your personal assets if found liable. Good luck.I need legal advice for a assault case?
Yes, you still need a lawyer. The level of proof needed for a civil suit is less than that needed for a criminal case. While the state did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed the crime, he only needs to prove that it is more likely than not that you were responsible for his injuries.
Yes, you were aquitted for a criminal trial, this is now a civil matter. Like how OJ was aquitted for the murder of his wife in the criminal trial but lost in the civil trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment