Sunday, August 22, 2010

Is there any Legal Consequence for Offering Advice?

Hello. A lot of people approach me for advice regarding school and careers. Can I be legally held responsible (euphemism for ';sued';) if any of my advice leads to bad results? So many people come up to me that I am considering opening up a site where people can ask me for free. Please consider that I am not a certified counselor, educational expert, or any official anything. ThanksIs there any Legal Consequence for Offering Advice?
If you're offering free advice and not claiming to be a licensed professional, it is not a problem. Make sure everyone understands that, as in the form of a disclaimer.





If you misrepresent yourself and/or start charging a fee for the advice then you can run into legal difficulties.Is there any Legal Consequence for Offering Advice?
Giving general advice is typically not prosecutable. If it were then the Morton sisters would've been put away for practicing every profession on the planet without a license.





Giving specific advice based on someone's specific facts, on the other hand, can land someone in hot water at some point.





General advice is typically okay though. Just be real careful that people don't consider you an expert at anything.
If you receive no benefit (cash, reward, goods) then any advice you give is given in good faith and not binding on you or the asker.





If a friend asks me ';Should my son go to College X or College Y?'; then my answer is not binding on him, he is merely researching something and gathering information.


If he asks ';Should I invest my life savings in Company A or Company B?'; if I tell him A and it crashes and he loses his savings he still has no claim since I did not benefit from giving the advice and he has to exercise due diligence when making investments.

No comments:

Post a Comment