Monday, August 23, 2010

Where can I get free legal advice in illinois?I need help fast!?

it has to do with custody of my stepson and a very abusive ex husband.The child lives with me but I am fighting for custody.I have an attorney but...she is definatly no good!!!I should also say he is an illegal alien and has a criminal record!Where can I get free legal advice in illinois?I need help fast!?
Your situation is very common in a divorce. In Lake county the legal aid is handled by Prairie State 800-942-3940 or the Lake County Bar Assn. 847-244-2140. You must have a certain income level and you may not get everything FREE.





BUT you already have an attorney so you may not qualify for that. Just because your attorney doesn't agree with you or gives you bad news does not mean she is ';no good';. Like I said in a divorce it is very very common to blame the attorney when things don't go as fast or exactly like the client wants. Perhaps you should but your efforts into working with your attorney on some of the more important issues in the divorce.Where can I get free legal advice in illinois?I need help fast!?
Go to your State's Attorney's Office. They should have a Domestic abuse unit that should be able to help you. You could go and get an Emergency Order of Protection from them, and names of Attorneys who could help you.


Being that he is a Stepson complicates matters, where is Bio mom...will she help?





Keep calling the police every time he calls and threatens you. It is needed documentation for your case.





How old is stepson?


What County are you in?
Call Prairie State Legal service. They are in the western burbs of chicago. They would also be able to refer you to other free services. You never said where in Illinois you live.





One thing I would do ( and have done) is to set up free consultations with 3 different attorneys in your area. Tell them your story in a concise manner as possible. Ask specific questions that further your understaning of your case.
Call protective services, the police and the INS. ALso, get away from him physically, stay with friends, parents, anyone who can protect you. Good luck and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment