Monday, August 23, 2010

Legal Advice? My employer is paying me to much? Can they make me pay it back?

Here is the situation. I get $1.50 normally for shift diff. If I pass my registry exam I get another $1.50. But I have not passed my registry exam but I am getting the extra $1.50.Legal Advice? My employer is paying me to much? Can they make me pay it back?
They can, and probably will require you to pay back any money you are paid in error. Rules for how such restitution may be required vary from state to state, and country to country, but you will need to pay it back. Given this fact, I suggest you consider how trustworthy you want to appear to your company. You will gain much in their eyes if you bring the mistake to their attention, rather than waiting until they catch the error.Legal Advice? My employer is paying me to much? Can they make me pay it back?
They can and will if they catch it. I had an employer accidentally forget to withhold monies for my health insurance and they just garnered my future checks until they were paid back.
Is the money rightfully yours? (NO)


Can they make U pay it back? (YES)





Payroll errors happen quite often. Just like banking errors. An error does not entitle U to the money.





If it is a sizeable amount, and you go and spend the money, then quit your job (in effort to escape payback)...........you'll get sued and may even end up in jail.





Be a good employee! Call this to the attention of your employer. They are going to find out eventually.........., then they may ask you why you didn't say anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment