Thursday, July 29, 2010

I need legal advice!!!Do both parties need to sign an agreement when changing child support?

The father of my child and I went to meet with Friend of the Court the other day. I was sick as hell that day, not thinking clearly I just wanted to get out of there, I agreed to lower his child support. I called a lawyer and he said that because the conversation was not recorded and I never signed the agreement that it is not binding. Is that true? Can I go back on that agreement since I didn't sign it? By the way I live in MichiganI need legal advice!!!Do both parties need to sign an agreement when changing child support?
Unsigned agreements are generally worth the paper they are written on. Mostly because they don't specify under what conditions they can be changed or invalidated.I need legal advice!!!Do both parties need to sign an agreement when changing child support?
Such agreements aren't usually in effect unless all necessary parties agree to them in writing. You can't have a one sided contract where only one side signed.
You're coming to the wrong place to get cogent legal advice. This is a troll site, as anyone truthful can tell you.
You did not sign it AND you were not in proper condition to sign any contracts.


And this ';Friend of the Court'; person knows better.
My ex negotiated an entire 'Dissolution of Marriage' agreement with me using a mediation attorney. This included the separation of property as well as custody and child support.





When the agreement was ready to be signed, my ex called me several times to check and see if I had gone down to sign it yet. After a couple of days, I had signed it and told the ex. My ex waited two days - until a friday evening after the close of business, while driving our children on a road trip out of town - to tell me that they had no intention of signing it and instead would be retaining an attorney for a contested divorce.





Why? Because they wanted to extract everything they could from me in a 'negotiated' environment, and then use that as a springboard for a contested environment. (They also wanted to wait until Friday evening so I couldn't get my own attorney until Monday.)





The problem? My ex never signed the agreement. Therefore it was worthless, even with my signature on it.





The answer: Yes, both parties need to sign. If you did not sign, you *may* in the future be asked to explain to the Court why you changed your mind to help the Judge make their decision - however, this specific agreement is not binding.





Hire the Attorney. Contested child custody and support issues are far too significant to risk handling by yourself unless you are all of these things: 1) A legal expert; 2) An expert on your local court's procedures; 3) A skilled orator; 4) A skilled debator.

No comments:

Post a Comment