Thursday, July 29, 2010

I need some free legal advice about a name change please?

I would like to change my sons last name. His father signed his birth certificate and my son has his last name but I want him to have mine. His father is not an active part in his life, packed up and moved away without even telling us and is over 10,000 dollars behind in child support and I haven't talked to him in a couple of years. Is it possible to give my son my last name and if so how would I go about doing that? Also if it matters I live in florida.





ThanksI need some free legal advice about a name change please?
You have to petition to have your son's name changed. Where you do that will be dependent on your local court. Either the family/orphan's court will do it, or your common pleas/civil/small claims court will do it. This is governed by local rules, so call your local family court to find out. It is generally difficult to change the name of the child when the father objects. You might consider filing a dual action for enforcement of child support arrears and a petition for name change at the same time. He is less likely to show up and contest the name change.





Willfully being in arrears in excess of $5000 and crossing state lines is a federal crime punishable by up to 6 months in federal prison.





consult a family law attorney in your jurisdiction
  • natural beauty tips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment