Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Legal advice for Missouri resident regarding issue in the sale of an automotible?

My 17 year old son blew the motor in a car I bought him. One of his friends has the same car, the body of which was very damaged but the motor was good. He made a verbal agreement with my son to purchase the car for $600. My son was living with my parents at the time as I was out of state for about 6 months. The car is titled in my name and my son asked for the title since his friend said he'd pay him after he got the title. For the past 2 months my son has been calling the guy (who has the car) and now he says he only wants to pay $200. I said no and if he isn't willing to keep the agreement that I want the car back. His father got involved because they put a motor in it. He says that motor doesn't run either and says the car isn't worth anything so he isn't paying for it. Again I requested the car back. He has the car in his fenced yard parked behind an RV. The police said I have to file a law suit. If I have the title and there is no contract, do I need to file suit? What can I do?Legal advice for Missouri resident regarding issue in the sale of an automotible?
Hi,


Good question. I can tell you this.


1) There never was a verbal agreement. (Your son is a minor and as such, can not enter into a verbal contract, or a written one for that matter).


2) Technically the car is still yours. The police should be able to help you out.


3) Here is the problem as I see it. I really don't know from what I have studied what will happen because they have put a motor in the car. The verbal agreement was not valid, so a lawsuit may be your only recourse. The judge may give you the ';market value'; of your car.








Summary:


The car is still yours


The police should be able to help


Legal fees will make consulting a laywer unreasonable


I would recommend you tell them that you are going to file a lawsuit, and see what they say.





Email me if I can help any more.Legal advice for Missouri resident regarding issue in the sale of an automotible?
I would suggest to report it as stolen. If the title is still in your name it is still technically your property. But it can get tricky when you get into the laws about the amount of time these other people have had it in their possession. It is definatly a good idea to call a lawyer but you will probly end up in small claims court since the value of the vehicle is so low. Most small claims courts dont allow lawyers.
Call a lawyer and get his advice.
yes you have a legal claim go to the small claims in your local court house and file a suite for breach of a verbal contract . this is legal . my opion?

No comments:

Post a Comment